Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Spray paint DIY

Lately, I've been so busy being a mom of 4 (soccer, cub scouts, piano, gymnastics, church, nursing a hungry 3 month old, homework, studying for tests, dinner, grocery shopping, housework, and all the in-betweens) that I've been neglecting blogging, picture taking, and DIY crafting. Which are all the things I love and keep me sane. But, last week I decided to throw a going away party for a neighbor, which forced me to make time to craft some DIY decorations. I decided I wanted to make a large chalkboard to write a message on for the main focal point of the decorations (I didn't get any pictures of the party, because I was so busy). Anyway, that's when the spray paint fun began! Blaine found a fabulous shade of aqua spray paint (Rustoleum Seaside in gloss) at Home Depot and I started spray painting anything that wasn't bolted down! LOL :) Not really, but I had some beat up bar stools and an old paper towel holder that were just dying for some new paint. I love taking old things and changing them to make them look different!

DIY magnetic board/chalkboard


First, Blaine cut a piece of crown molding to the correct angles and nailed them together to form a frame. Then I caulked the seams and spray painted the frame. Next, I took a piece of sheet metal (they cut if for Blaine at Home Depot) and spray painted it with chalkboard paint(several coats with sanding in between). Last, I glued the sheet metal to the back of the frame. This happened over several days since I had to let it dry in between coats of paint.
TA-DA! I drew a cute design that went with the theme of the going away party. It was the perfect focal point for the party! I really like it in my living room also! I have changed the design for Halloween. I will post a Halloween post later. Who knew I would have so much fun drawing on a chalkboard?!
Here are the spray paints and glue I used in case you were wondering.
By the way this is what happens when you are painting and the two year old is tending herself! I have no clue why she is wearing a bib and colored in tiger stripes. She kept telling me something about the cartoon Daniel Tiger. Who knows?! Lol ;) She wasn't happy about me taking her picture.
After finishing the chalkboard I had the itch to paint something else. I finally decided my old bar stools needed a makeover. A little bit of primer and a couple coats of paint later transformed my old barstools into aqua beauties!

And last but not least I spray painted an old paper towel holder for my kitchen. Bright and cheery for a pop of color!

So now go get your spray paint on and transform something old into something beautiful!!!!! It's cheap and a lot of fun!

 

1 comment:

Kara and Theo said...

That's such a pretty color! Those are some really cute projects.