Monday, April 14, 2014

Syndactyly

I haven't mentioned much about Lathen being born with syndactyly (fused digits) since he was born,but since we have his surgery coming up on Thursday (April 17th) I wanted to blog a bit about his hands to calm my nerves. I also am going to follow his surgery and recovery on my blog for others out there going through the same thing. When we found out Lathen had syndactyly I was surprised at how few stories and pictures I found explaining the surgery and recovery process. Their are many different severities of syndactyly. Lathens is incomplete simple type 1. Which basically means his middle fingers are fused with tissue only and not all the way to the top. It's one of the easier types of syndactyly to fix.

 

As his surgery date approaches I find myself taking pictures of his fingers and marveling at the perfection of them even though they are fused together. I honestly just want to leave them how they are. In my eyes they seem to be a normal part of Lathen, but I am told many times over that he needs his fingers full mobility in order to wear gloves, type, play piano, or wear a wedding ring. :) If you have a chance say a quick prayer on Thursday morning for Lathen that all goes well and that he has a speedy recovery. For now here are some of my favorite pictures of his fingers in all of their perfect glory!

 

1 comment:

Jill Britt said...

I just read this so I didn't even realize he was having surgery until I started seeing his pictures! I hope the recovery process is going well. I am always amazed at how quickly kids recover so I hope that's true for ya'll!